Ok so Saturday, September 11 Maddie's umbi cord stump fell off. Although you can't even call it a stump; it's more like a scab. They had to cut her stump down when they put her central line in during her short stay in NICU. It still pains me to think about those days! It was all very strange. Codie was actually changing her diaper when it fell off. And then he picks it up looks at me and says, "What do I do with it?"
Here in lies the debate: What do you do with it?
I told him to throw it away. Personally I think it's kinda gross to keep that kind of thing around. Plus my argument to those on the opposing side is this: I kept her cord blood. She now has approximately 100 million or so stem cells available should she ever need them. They serve a purpose. Her stump cannot say the same. It's basically a giant scab. Plus I can;t help but think of that scene from Meet the Fockers when his circumcision piece flies into the fondue. Nobody wants old dried up biological waste laying around!
The opposition says otherwise. Others have told me about how it's this great memento of their child and so on.

Lol, I threw it away as well. Its one keepsake that really isn't that awesome, like a first tooth or first hair clipings. Even then, I don't know that I'll keep her first hair clipings (or a piece of the hair). And now, why haven't I heard anything about the NICU. I know its scary in there, but its all gonna seem trivial soon enough :).
ReplyDelete