OK so I have a confession. Did the title give that away? Last week I took Maddie in for her nine month appointment. Every time she has an appointment I get really anxious and not in the good, excited night-before-Christmas kind of way. For some unknown (to me) reason I'm always afraid that the doctor is going to tell me there is something wrong with my baby. Yes I am completely aware that this is illogical and bordering on insane. I can't help it. Every since becoming pregnant, I've had a LOT of irrational thoughts. And I mean a lot. But that's a whole new blog post there.
So as I go through what to expect at the nine month checkup I start thinking of all the things they could tell me. And the first one (and most frequent) thing I think of is that they are going to tell me that my child is starved. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Maddie, she's kinda petite. She is a little whittle bebe. Iddy biddy. I've seen 3 month olds who could take her down if they had the coordination and dexterity. As of last Monday she weighs 15lbs. Yes I typed 1 5 pounds. And the doc tells me every time that she is perfectly healthy and developing great and all that.
SO then why do I think she's starving? A lot of reasons really. The first being about how complete strangers tell me all the time that my baby is so small and does she eat? Yes my baby eats! What the hell?! You think I starve my kid? Then they start to ask about her diet and are always surprised when I say that I breastfeed and how breastfed babies are always big and plump and maybe mine doesn't eat enough. Let me just tell you how much my 15lb munchkin eats in a day: 2 fruits, 2 veggies, 4oz bowl of cereal, snacks (like half a thing of puffs) and on top of all that she still nurses 4-5 times a day. My kid eats! I guess what I'm getting at is that I have somehow allowed complete strangers (and occasionally friends and family) convince me that my baby doesn't eat.
That's my confession. I'm always afraid that the doctor is going to confirm what all these people, who aren't my daughter's parents, are saying is true. That they were right. That somehow complete strangers would take better care of my child. Deep down I know better. I know that I am the best mother for her. I know this because every time I go in to get in the mornings she has a huge grin on her face and she can't seem to roll over fast enough to get to me and crawl up in my arms. I know this because God chose me for her. And God doesn't make mistakes.

Bella has consistently been 5th percentile or lower for both height and weight since 4 months. But that's just it: for BOTH height and weight. If your child is small but her height and weight match one another to the point that she looks like she has some meat on her (like in your picture), then nothing else matters. She's obviously gaining weight and looks great. I highly doubt that your pediatrician would lie to you about her health. So, to all the wacked out strangers (or whoever is spouting this bs to you), tell them to go find a cliff and jump with the rest of the lemmings!
ReplyDelete